Sunday, February 27, 2011

Gluten Free = Delicious!!!

A good friend of mine, Lindsey, is Gluten Free.  She lives by herself, so she doesn't bake a lot because the food will spoil before she can eat it all!  So every once in a while, I will bake her some GF cupcakes for a special occassion and split the batch between her and a couple other GF families I know.  I never actually tried the GF cupcakes to see how they tasted.  I was sure they would taste icky or strange and I wouldn't like them!  So blindly, I've been making these, crossing my fingers that they taste good!

So Lindsey is in her last Semester at UNR getting her Masters in Speech Pathology.  She had two REALLY BIG exams that she was just sure she failed.  She was so so SO nervous before she took them, and then afterwards she didn't feel confident in her work at all.  All of us encouraged her, "I'm sure you passed!  Even if you passed with a low score, I'm sure you passed, and thats all that matters!  And if you didn't pass, you have more time to study and you have a chance to take the tests again!"

Well . . . Her mom called me one day and said that she had just talked to Lindsey on the phone (her parents live in Southern California) and found out that she passed both exams!  She really wanted to do something special for Lindsey, but she couldn't do anything too wonderful from that far away, so she asked if I could do cupcakes or something for her.

I called all our friends and arranged to go to dinner that night and "invited" Lindsey to come.  I made her a GF Chocolate Cake "from her parents", congratulating her on passing.

We all had a wonderful dinner and celebrated her passing her exams and the stress being over, and then, dessert time came . . . OH NO!  Everyone is taking pieces of the cake . . . I don't want to be rude- I guess I'll have to try it!  It can't possibly be good . . .

AMAZING.

One of the most moist, rich, decadent Chocolate Cakes I've tasted.  EVER.  So I don't know why GF gets such a bad rap.  This was delicious!

I will definitely add this to my list of frequently made cakes.  No one would ever know the difference, and GF people can have it and not worry!

Heart Shaped Gluten Free Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Ganache Filling, Strawberry Cream Cheese Buttercream, topped with more Ganache and Fresh Strawberries and Blackberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment